Monday, July 23, 2012

Preserving Apple Juice

Don't waste those apple peels after your done making the apple sauce. Make apple juice. It's apple season once again and time to stock the pantry with apple sauce and apple juice.

Jonagold apples from Fruit Hill Orchard!


Recently when I was cutting up peaches I decided to use the skins to make a peach juice and add to my tea. So I thought, why not do the same with the apple peelings.

 The jar on top is the juice!

After your done with peeling and coring your apples, throw all the scraps into a large sauce pot on low heat. Add about 3 cups of water. Put lid on top and cook unto peelings are mussy, about 30-40 mins. You can add sugar if you want a sweeter apple juice, but I think it's just right. Seal in your canning pot the same you would your applesauce. This apple juice is a little weaker than the store bought juice.

 I'm excited to use it in cakes. Substitute most of the water for your apple juice. I'd love to try your favorite apple recipe. Please do share!

No comments:

Post a Comment