Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Honey Wheat Hamburger Buns


When I was doing my menu planning for the week I didn't realize that we didn't have any hamburger buns. So, I headed to the store to buy some (can we say "lazy"). The store wanted $3.29 for a package of 8 hamburger buns. I couldn't bring myself to buy them.

I went home and got out the bread machine and decided to make my own. I have tried this once before and they turned out really thick and yucky. The recipe I used is from my bread machine book for honey wheat rolls. Here is how I made them into hamburger buns.

Recipe:
1 cup water (room temperature)
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup honey ( I used Agave)
1 egg
2 cups bread flour
1 1/4 cups wheat flour
2 teaspoons active dry yeast

Add all ingredients to bread machine and select dough cycle. When bread is done, knead it for 2-3 mins. of floured surface. Tear off a chunk of dough and roll in palm of hand until it's approx. 3 inches round. Keep doing this until you use up all the dough. Place on greased cookie sheet and cover with a clean cloth. Let rise for 1 hour. Push down on dough gently to release the air. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 25-30 mins. Makes approx. 14 buns.

I then cut one in half to make sure it was not dense and thick inside. Perfect! I think the bread flour helped a lot. No more store bought hamburger buns for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment