Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Homemade Vanilla Extract




Vanilla extract is one of my favorite cooking ingredients. When I read Laura's blog on making your own homemade vanilla extract I thought I would give it a try.

Pure vanilla extract can be very expensive. The last bottle I bought from Whole Foods cost $5.00 for a 2 oz. bottle. I did some calculating and figured out that making your own is way cheaper. Buying the vodka, vanilla beans and the 2 oz. bottles will only end up costing you around $2.00 a bottle for pure vanilla extract.

It takes around six months before your vanilla will be ready to use. Just in time to get them bottled up and ready for Christmas presents. I can't wait to see how this project turns out. I love making things from scratch and Heavenly Homemakers is a great inspiration to me. Thanks Laura for all you do. Go check out her blog!!!



1 comment:

  1. I need to try this out -- I use a lot of vanilla extract since I bake a lot and you're right about being so expensive! Thanks for this suggestion!

    I'm a new follower of your blog, would love to have you come visit me. I have linked my post about Spring to the Heavenly Homemakers meme :-)

    ReplyDelete