Tuesday, March 22, 2011

3 Eyes = Yummy Potatoes






Spring is here and time to plant potatoes.

My grand mother and great grand father taught me a lot about gardening and preserving. When to plant and how to plant. My grand mother (a.k.a. Nana) taught me how to plant potatoes. When buying seed potatoes you want to get the ones with the most "eyes". These are the sprouts that come out of the potato. The eyes will sprout and grow up through the dirt. If your potato has 6 eyes cut them so you have 3 eyes each. Making two potatoes from one.

Dig a hole approx. 6 inches deep and place you potato cut side down. Cover your hole with plenty of dirt, piling it up like a hill. I usually have mine approx. 6 inches tall. Potatoes take a long time to grow so be patient. They are working hard underground to make you some yummy food. If you plant your potatoes soon, they should be ready for harvest around August. If you want little potatoes dig a few up earlier.

This might sound crazy to some, but digging in the dirt can be relaxing and fun. I had my two little nieces outside with me today planting potatoes, onions and radishes. We had a great time placing the seedlings in the dirt. They enjoyed seeing the rows of white and red onions. "It's a pattern" they said. I can't wait to see the expressions on their little faces when they get to pick their rewards.

No comments:

Post a Comment