Sunday, March 4, 2012

Cooking Collard Greens


Who would think collard greens would taste so yummy?! Well, I'm hear to tell you they are delicious. I always thought of collard greens as a "old person food", you know the food your grandma eats and you say "yuck". I decided to try them last year and was hooked.

My grandma bought me 12 plants last fall to plant in my garden. Collard greens are a winter vegetable. They thrive in the cold. Collard greens are very easy to grow, just watch for the inch worms, they love collards too.

When the leaves get about 8"-10" long it's time for picking. Cut with a sharp knife at the end of leaf near the stalk. You can also buy collard greens at the grocery store. Just remember to wash them well. Cut greens to bite size pieces. Place in crock-pot of large pot. If you have a ham bone, steak bone or piece of bacon you can throw that in as well. The meat really flavors the greens well, I'm just trying to do my best with not eating meat.

Here is my simple recipe for delicious collard greens:

8- 10 cups chopped collard greens
1 cup vegetable broth
1 bouillon cube (I used chicken)
1/2 medium onion, diced
5 cups water
2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. pepper

I cooked my collard greens in a crock-pot on high for 10 hours. You can cook them on top of the stove in large pot also. When they are tender is when their done. Enjoy!!

Did you know that collard greens are loaded with vitamin K and are a low calorie food?
What is your favorite way to eat collard greens? Or have you never tried collard greens?

No comments:

Post a Comment