Wednesday, March 3, 2010

The end results of Freezer Cooking
















That was pretty painless. It only took me 2 1/2 hours from start to finish to make the breakfast burritos and the brown bag burritos and whole wheat tortillas.

Whole Wheat Tortillas:
2 Tbsp. melted butter
4 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
Pour both ingredients into a liquid measuring cup, and then fill it to the 1 1/2 cup mark using tap water.
Measure 4 cups whole wheat flour into a large mixing bowl.
Pour liquid into the flour and mix well with a wooden spoon, then use your hands to work the liquid all the way through the flour.
Cover the bowl with a damp towel and then cover that with a dry towel. Let it sit out on your counter overnight or for at least 10 hrs, but no longer than 24.
The next day, work 1 tsp. salt into the dough, kneading on a lightly floured surface.
Form into a ball, then cover with a damp cloth and let the dough rest for about 1/2 an hour.
Using a serrated knife, cut the dough in half and half again and half again until you get about 24 equal portions. Roll the dough into little balls.
Roll the dough out as thin as you can. These are kinda small- about 6" round. If you want bigger tortillas, make larger balls of dough.
Cook in skillet for 30 seconds on one side. Transfer to plate to cool.
I make the bigger ones for my burritos, makes approx. 12-12" tortillas.
I really wish I knew what blog I found this recipe from. It is a great one. Thank you mystery tortilla maker.

I used Heavenly Homemakers recipe for the turkey sausage. This is the best sausage I have ever had. Follow her recipe for the breakfast burritos here. I can't wait to go to the store and get some more turkey to make this sausage. Yum!

For the Brown bag burritos, I changed the recipe up a little, because I was missing some of the ingredients. Here is my version.

1.5 lbs ground beef
1 package enchilada sauce mix
2 cans black beans
2 cups mozzarella cheese
1/2 cup finely chopped red onions
1 cup water
1 tbsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. dried oregano
Brown beef and onion, drain. Return beef and onion to skillet and add black beans, water, garlic powder, salt and oregano. Cover and simmer 15-20 mins. Add cheese at the last 5 mins. Spoon 3/4 cup beef mixture on tortilla. Wrap it up with foil. Freeze or eat. Enjoy!!

I really like both of these recipes. I will be making them alot around here now. Hopefully my daughter will like them also.





No comments:

Post a Comment