Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Planting a garden



Spring has sprung and it's time to plant your garden. Even if you don't have a lot of land for a big garden you can plant in pots on your patio, or small areas of the yard. Just make sure you have enough sun light and plenty of water drainage.
I have planted 16 hills of potato's, 11 broccoli plants, 9 brussel sprout plants, two rows of radishes, 1 row of white onions, 1 row of red onions, 9 turnip plants, and one red cabbage plant. I have pots on the porch with lettuce in them also. Some of these plants are new to growing for me, but I thought it would be fun to try them out. I always plant potato's. Rule of thumb is you should plant them on St. Patrick's Day ( that is in Virginia). All of these plants I have planted are cold weather plants, they like the cold weather and do well.
When the dogwood trees bloom is the time to plant your summer plants. Like tomatoes, cucumbers, squash, green beans, etc. Make sure there is no threat of frost in your area.
Gardening is a lot of fun for me. I love to taste the fresh vegetables from my garden all year long. Hopefully this will be a good year for gardening and I can "preserve" a lot of food for the winter.

2 comments:

  1. I love to find other fellow bloggers who love to garden. This is our only 2nd year of vegetable gardening. I'll be posting our plan next week (we're in Georgia).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vegetable gardening is so much fun, I have been gardening since I was 10 years old, thanks to my great grandfather. What is your main blog?

    ReplyDelete