Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Reusing water bottles


Reusing my plastic water bottles is one of the ways I'm helping my environment and my wallet. The U.S. is the world's largest bottled water consumers. I use my tap water to fill my plastic bottles. If your tap water isn't very tasty try the Brita filter pitchers. They are around $9- $15.

I keep 10 -15 water bottles filled at a time in my refrigerator crisper drawer. Then when anyone wants a bottle of water, they are cold and ready to enjoy. I wash them out after each use, just as if I were washing a cup. Then refill and back in the refrigerator.

Refilling water bottles with your own tap water saves you money also. The average price for a 16.9 oz. water bottle is anywhere from $0.15 - $1.69 a bottle. The average price of tap water is $1.50 for 1,000 gallons-less than a penny a gallon. A big savings. $$$$ I will buy a 20 pack of water bottles for $3.00 and reuse. When it's time for them to be disposed of they go into the recycling bins.

Another method is to buy reusable water bottles. You can get them in all different colors and sizes. Some of them are a little out of my budget. I think they would be good for a bigger family so everyone could have their own bottle. With just my daughter and I, this method works well for us.

My goal is to help reduce the waste that humans make. Click here to find ways you can help.
Let us know your reduce, reuse, recycle stories.

1 comment: