Saturday, January 29, 2011

Homemade Marshmallows






Calling all marshmallow lovers. Here is a recipe you gotta try.

I never buy marshmallows because I think they are soooo bad for you. These marshmallows have a lot of sugar but no high fructose corn syrup- yeah. I found this recipe from a lady that left a commit on Heavenly Homemakers blog. If you haven't been to Laura's site, go check it out. She is my cooking ideal.

We had a snow day last week and I had 3 of my sister's 4 kids plus my daughter. I had to keep them busy, in the kitchen we stayed. My two little nieces love to cook with me. Krista, the 5 year old, didn't care much for the marshmallows. I'm having a hard time getting this child to eat anything homemade.

Homemade marshmallows

2 Tbsp. gelatin
1/2 cup cool water

2 cups sugar
3/4 cup water
2 Tbsp. honey
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1/4 cup corn starch
1/4 cup powdered sugar
2 Tbsp. cocoa

In a small bowl, stir together corn starch and powdered sugar and cocoa. Prepare a pan: spray a large casserole (13 X 9) with oil and sprinkle with powdered sugar to coat. Combine cool water and gelatin in large bowl. In a saucepan combine water, sugar, honey and salt. Bring to a roiling boil until liquid reaches 238-240 degrees. Turn on mixer at low speed and slowly pour in hot syrup in bowl. Beat until fluffy about 12-15 minutes. Add vanilla at the end of mixing. Pour into prepared pan and cool at room temperature for 3-4 hours. Dump marshmallows onto a cutting board. Cut into desired shapes. Toss in cocoa mixture until marshmallow is coated. Enjoy.

I have so many different ideas now to do with these marshmallows. How about brown sugar and cinnamon? Roll them in colored sugar, maybe even use a cookie cutter to make different shapes. Try using a small pan to make GIANT marshmallows for s'mores. The ideas are endless.

No comments:

Post a Comment