Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Chicken and Broccoli with Rice


Chicken is a staple in our house. We eat more chicken than any other meat. I'll always trying to find different meals to make with chicken. Since my grocery budget of $50 is already used this month, I have to get creative.

To the cabinets I go. What's inside? Garlic, soy sauce, broccoli and rice. I can make my own "Chinese, chicken and broccoli" I say! The wheels are turning in my brain (no sarcastic remarks please.)

The other night I had cooked a whole chicken for dinner. We ate some that night and I'm using the rest for this recipe.
2 cups broccoli
1 1/2 cups chicken
2 cups chicken broth
1 tsp. minced garlic
2 tbsp. soy sauce
1 spring onion, chopped
salt and pepper to taste


Tare the meat off your chicken until you get approx. 1 1/2 cups worth of chicken. Throw the carcase of the bird in a large pot and add some salt and pepper. I added some onion for flavoring also. You can also add carrots, celery. If you get more than 1 1/2 cups great. Save that to make cranberry almond chicken salad. Boil in pot for about 20 mins. While your broth is cooking, cook your broccoli in another pot, just until it's almost tender. You don't want mussy broccoli. Yuck!

Measure 2 cups of broth and add to a large skillet or wok. Add the broccoli, chicken, minced garlic, soy sauce, onion, salt and pepper. Cook on medium heat for 10-12 mins. Serve with rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment