Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Homemade Fruit Leather


This was my first attempt at making fruit leather and it turned out great. Very easy to make, just a little time consuming.


I had some apples that I had canned last year and pureed them in a blender. If using fresh apples, just peel, core and cook until soft. It was approx. 2 quarts of sliced apples. After they are pureed it should measure 4 cups of apples. Taste the apples to see if they are sweet enough for your taste. You can also add cinnamon or nutmeg.


Turn your oven to the lowest setting, mine went to 170 degrees. Line a large baking sheet (17x12) with parchment paper. Pour your apple puree over paper and smooth out so apples are even. Bake for 10-12 hours. Your fruit leather will peel right off. Cut to size, roll it up and wrap in plastic wrap.

You can make a variety of flavors. I made pear fruit leather also, delicious. Peach is the next one on my list. Not sure how long these will keep, but I would imagine at least two weeks stored in airtight container.

No comments:

Post a Comment